This post is loaded with pictures and tips on how to start a Kamado grill with an electric charcoal starter. I’m starting a Saffire Grill in the photos.
To start your grill you will need:
- An extension cord
- An electric charcoal starter
- An ash tool
- Charcoal ( Saffire Lump Charcoal is my favorite)
1. Put your electric charcoal starter in the front part of your grill and pile existing charcoal around it. Do NOT plug in your electric charcoal starter yet; ours does not have an on-off switch, once it’s plugged in, it’s on.
2. Dump fresh charcoal into your grill and arrange it around starter. We always grill with the Saffire Lump Charcoal. I had my husband do this part as it can get a little messy, haha!
Make sure your starter is still off and NOT plugged in yet. Arrange charcoal around starter so it can easily ignite a flame.
3. Plug in your electric charcoal starter and give it a few minutes to get going with grill lid open. I’d say typically this takes about 7 minutes. You want to keep the lid of your grill open to allow the oxygen in the air to help start your grill.
4. Remove starter and disperse charcoal using ash tool. Soon you’ll start seeing smoke rising from your charcoal. Carefully remove the starter and set it in a safe place. We typically set ours on the cement slab that our grill rests on (on a side note, we are hoping to get a patio this summer with a better grill set-up,yay!!).
Use the ash tool to disperse your charcoal, remember be careful it’s heating up in your grill!
5. Close grill lid keeping vents open and let it heat up to temperature. Now close the lid of your grill and let it heat up to your desired temperature. Keep both vents open while doing this.
After your grill gets going, open it up and you’ll see the charcoal a’blazin’; it’s a beautiful thing to behold! Use your ash tool to stoke the fire.
Place the grid back on your grill using your ash tool.