- 8 pounds butternut squash (2 medium sized squashes)
- 1 onion
- 1 tart apple
- 2 carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of ground cloves and nutmeg
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or water)
- Preheat grill to 450F.
- Slice butternut squash in half and remove seeds. Lightly sprinkle with olive oil.
- Place squash onto grill. Roast at 450F for an hour, or until flesh is tender and easily pierced. Remove from grill and allow to cool.
- Heat olive oil in a large, deep pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and apple and cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add turmeric, cinnamon, ground cloves, and nutmeg and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add butternut squash flesh and vegetable stock (or water). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove pot from heat and puree with an immersion blender. Season with any additional salt or pepper to taste.