Juicy sweet and spicy rubbed meat with flavorful, crispy bark makes this smoked pulled pork recipe phenomenal.
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 18h
- Total Time: 18h 15m
- 8 pounds pork shoulder
- BBQ sauce
- wood chips, if desired
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together BBQ rub. Rub it all over pork shoulder.
- Preheat grill to 250°F and load with plenty of fresh charcoal.
- Place pork shoulder on roasting rack and put on grill. Add wood chips if using them (continue to add every hour if you like a strong flavor.)
- Grill on indirect heat for 16 hours or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 195-200° F.
- Remove from grill and let rest for 15-30 minutes.
- Shred and enjoy on buns with your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Grill for around 2 hours per pound of meat, adding a 1-2 hour time cushion.
- Typically there is a "stall zone" around 165F to 180F.